Engine ID does not make sense

I have purchased a 91 VW Golf. I can't get the engine ID to match up with my Chiltons manual. I know I need to get a Bently but for now that's all I have. The VIN number is 3VWFA21GXMM. The flat spot next to the spark plugs reads: TOP GOE, 026103983. The head has cast into it: 026103373AA 3ME. The label under the hood reads: Engine Family MVW 1.8 V5FWB6 1781cc. Chiltons says it should be RV.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Engine id (two char.) is on the block just under the coolant connection.

SFC

"Paul Johnson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
SFC

All the U.S. engines in the 87-92 Golfs and Jettas where RV or PF Code Engines. The engine code is stamped on the block, just below the edge of the cylinder head between the number 3 and 4 cylinders. Sometimes there is rust, Paint, or oil crud there(or all three). A wire brush will reveal the engine code stamped there.

Reply to
P. Van Hout

Not so, My '87 GTi has an RD engine, and in case you argue that a GTi is not a Golf, the '87 Jetta GLi came with the RD engine as well.

Reply to
Randolph

The comment is probably best written as all Digifant engines in Golf/GTIs/Jettas for the US are either RV or PF. Digifant was used in very late '87 and later A2 gas-powered cars that were 8V engines. (So '87 is a mixed year.)

Most are RV. The PF engines were the dual-downpipe ones, found in 8v GTIs, Golf GTs, and some (all?) Jetta Carats. Base and GL Golfs and Jettas were the RV ones. The only exception is 1990-1992 8Vs in California were RVs instead of PFs, even if they were GTIs and Carats.

Reply to
Matt B.

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:31:31 -0700, "Matt B." wrote: i just looked at the codes for the non-gti/gli models. sorry...forgot the rd code engines...sheesh...sorry, and i forgot the

16v engines too soory if i caused any confusion

Reply to
P. Van Hout