Engine light - does disconnecting battery clear it?

Hi.

Got the check engine light today, pretty sure why - had my power box running and gave it the accelerator a good prodding to pass someone, but the engine was only just starting to warm up... The light came on pretty much right after that. - Happened once before, basically telling me too much fuel was dumped into the cylinders... which is what the power box does.

If I get a check engine with a flashing glowplug light I can clear it by disabling the box and restarting the car, this light I can't clear in that way... So I was wondering if I should leave the battery unplugged while I'm sitting in class tomorrow. (In a bad area of Toronto... would be good if nothing electrical worked... never know - VW locks/unlocks mechanically with the key right? - or do electrical acctuators come into play?).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The majority of the faults will not clear that way. If they do then only about 5 minutes is all that's needed.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

When your car is in the shop, run back to the tech and see if he will turn it off for $10 or $20? He get's beer money and you get it done cheaply!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yep... they told me 42.50 to do it now (1/2 an hour of labour - for a 30 second job) but my car wasn't booked in or anything... They said they'd just take care of it at my next oil change.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yes they should be able to clear it.

Reply to
CanadianCray

Geez man. Clear side indicators? You're not going rice-boy now are you? ;) I think those or originally clear, correct me if I am wrong. Small indicator on the side of the fender, not the blinkers.

More below.

Rob Guenther wrote:

well said Woodchuck. Besides. doing it that way can mask the way it drives since it resets the computer.

Is that what your first time issue code reading was or are you just guessing?

I hope you drained the water before you did this. Filter and the box. I don't know why it wouldn't clear up by itself once the you drain it.

You would be okay. lock the doors with the key. The doors would remain locked.

So did you get the code read and light reset yet? Where you right about the fuel being too much?

Reply to
Peter Parker