Engine seems to hesitate then jump...

I have a 1998 VW Jetta TDI. Recently I have noticed when driving at very low speeds 5 MPH or lower the car seems to lunge forward then hesitate then lunge forward hesitate and continue this behavior until I step on the accelerator. Now just tonight I noted that it seemed to be doing the same thing but this time on the highway going about 55-60 MPH. Any ideas what could be causing this behavior or how to go about diagnose / fix?

Reply to
Brett370

Possibly water in the fuel tank/fuel filter. Did you try to drain the fuel filter at all?

Reply to
AlanH70