glovebox 99 Passat

Hi, My 99 Passat's glovebox latch broke and it won't open. How can I get it open so that I can see what to fix (and remove its contents)?

The dealer service dept doesn't seem to know either -- they wanted more than $250 to replace the door! Call me crazy but I took it in -- but they couldn't do it. They claimed that the replacement part (the door) doesn't fit.

So, I am thinking that one from a junkyard is the way to go if I can get the old door off.

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
BK

Try Ebay too.

Reply to
Papa

You can't just replce the handle alone. If you look closely where the handle is you can release the latches with a small screw driver. As for $250 call another dealer and get another quote. Time is only about 1 hour labor or slightly more.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have not been able to find a way to release the latches. What am I missing?

The handle has this backend piece that sticks into the door and apparently broke off somewhere inside there. I just want to get the @#$% thing open! If I try just pulling on the edge of the door, it only seems to be latched on the left side. But there doesn't seem to be a way to get into where the actual latch is. And there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the latch mechanism from where the latch handle is.

Help!

"Woodchuck" wrote in news:FlyLd.5105$ snipped-for-privacy@fe39.usenetserver.com:

Reply to
BK

The handle just broke off on my 99 Passat, but it was rather easy to open. Stuck my thub in the hole, press down on the two rods, that releases the left and right side latches. I'm not even going to replace it, at least now car thieves won't be able to open it.

Darrel

BK wrote:

Reply to
Darrel Doehr

Mine doesn't seem to be so straightforward -- the handle is fine. It seems that it's the rods that broke. The right side seems to be permanently unlatched, but the left side won't unlatch no matter what I try.

What else can I try?

Darrel Doehr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
BK