'95 Passat: door won't unlock

the passenger front door won't open, and I'm tired of having people crawl through.

The lock button seems to remain about 1/2 up. Using either the key, the lock button, or the central lock system, you can make it rise or lower, but it quickly settles back to about mid-way.

Even acting quickly while the button is all the way up, the door latch will not open. I've tried using the inside latch, the outside latch, holding the button up from inside holding it up with the key, nothing. It still won't open, and drops back to mid way.

Needless to say, if I can't get the door open, I can't take the panel off to locate and fix whatever is wrong.

Any ideas, short of using a sawz-all?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

Hi, this sounds similar to my recent problem with 1995 Passat doors. (my buttons seem to dip back down too but all still works) Handle assembly not cheap so had a look. Removed handles and found that there was slight wear on tip of nylon plunger that presses down on door release, also small amount of play in mechanism. Placed a tyre valve cap (soften in hot water first!) over tip of plunger, re assembled and - presto! door now opens every time like new :-) (Now 3 month since fix) Got to be worth a try

Mick

Reply to
Warder54

Yeah, but how do I get the door open to begin with?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

I suggest you spray inside of the handle, trying to lube the latch, with some rust penetrant. Maybe the latch is stiff and the lubrication will help while you attempt to unlock and unlatch the door. I have seen springs in latches, in A2s, break causing this type of problem too. I hope you don't have this problem because it took some time to get the rear doors open.

You can't remove the door handle bolt with the rear door open? And does that handle bolt have reverse threads?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Oh s#!t...I forgot the left handle screws were lefthanded. No wonder it was so dang tight! With the back door open, it's hard to get to the screws, but possible at an awkward angle...Clockwise, I got the screw out, and got the door open. Now I can fix it ( I hope)

Thanks!