Headliner of a 1992 Golf MK3

Due to heat the whole thing has fallen like half a balloon from the ceiling of the car but it is not ripped. Can you please advise, if I remove the cardboard and clean it from the excess foam, can I glue again the original material since it seems to be in good condition? The site below I¢ll use as a guide. Any additional help will be appreciated. Thanx

zar

Had the same issue with my Mk2. Use the correct adhesive and use a LOT of it. And use new material. I couldn't get the old material to stretch and fit correctly. Allow with the new material some excess when trimming it because when you fit it to concave surfaces, you don't want any tension on it so it won't pull away by itself.

Reply to
Matt B.

Last Sat I removed the headliner, removed the material from the cardboard, and cleaned both with a harsh sponge the one used to clean pots and pans. The stuff came out easily. (being there since 1992) The material was in very good condition. So I decide to use the same. Instructions on the adhesive were to place the stuff on both surfaces to be glued , wait 15-20 minutes and then attach. So i used a brush and painted the glue first on the whole cardboard and then on the material. That was my mistake. I should have done section by section. Anyway it has couple of folds now but I will wait until it falls off again and use new material next time. Just a question. Does the new headliner material have a light foam on one side (the side that attaches to the cardboard) ? Or is it plain stretchable plastic like ? BTW the glue I used is the same material shoe repair shops here use to glue soles to shoes.

Reply to
zar