help: jetta running rich, failed emissions...

I could use some help. Our 1994 Jetta III GL just failed the CA emissions test horribly. I'd brought the car to a shop prior to the test because my engine light was on -- the engine codes were

00525 & 00537. The mechanic said our O2 sensor which was recently replaced is fine and just recommended resetting the computer. The engine light has been coming on for a year with the same codes so that doesn't seem like good advice.

Are there common problems with the Jetta that we should look at? Also - do you know a good, honest, reasonable mechanic in the SF/east bay area...?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
BillA