HELP! What have I done?

The last time I had my 94 jetta in the garage I was told my tranny fluid was low. Tonight I think I made a very expensive mistake. I read a post somewhere on the net saying to fill the tranny up to the bottom of the inspection hole, so thats what I tried to do. I poured a litre of synthetic gear oil into the inspection hole ON THE TOP OF THE TRANNY. After looking under the car, it looks like I've made a grave mistake. Is this not the hole for adding fluid? on hindsight, I'm thinking its a hole for checking the thickness of the clutch. All the fluid is now in a puddle under the car. I haven't moved or started the car, as I fear i'll only make the problem worse. Not sure what to do at this point. I need to know for sure that I've screwed up and not just overfilled the tranny before I call a towtruck.

MK

Reply to
MK

By "the hole on top of the tranny" are you talking about the green cap? If so, you poured oil onto your clutch..

You might get lucky by blowing it out with an air nozzle, but there is a good possibility you'll have to pull the tranny and replace the clutch..

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

That sucks

Reply to
Peter Cressman

What, using the hole from the speedo cable? Works perfectly. Gearbox oil cans have this nice tube attached which fits perfectly in that hole.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Try a few cans of brakeleen and leave the hole open with some sort of hose sucking ventilation for a day or so...

Reply to
Peter Parker

due to a leaking clutch slave cylender, i had brake fluid on my clutch making it slip. After replacing that-i ran about 1/2 gallon methanol through the timing hole, let it sit for a while. the methanol will evaporate quickly and make sure NO SPARKS OR HEAT SOURCE in anywhere near by. Methanol will break down the oil to water thin liquid. PUSH the car away from where you poured the methanol and let it air out for at least a hour. it worked great for me.

cruspeed

Reply to
cruspeed