hesitation and A/C in 2.0 '94 Golf (manual)

Had the 120,000-mile service done on my ?94 (bought ?93) Golf 2.0 (including waterpump and timing belt). Two questions. When warm, the engine now slightly hesitates at restart. Sometimes it barely makes it; other times I have to try a second time, it will turn over, but once I put my foot on the gas ever-so-slightly, it seems to bog before resuming its normal mode of operation. This is from a car that has started on first try within about 0.5 to 1.5 seconds for 125,000 miles.

I also need my A/C fixed. I had a local shop put in fluorescent dye, their conclusion is that the condenser needs replacement at $400. But to me, the condenser seems to be working fine. After a recharge, the A/C works well for a couple of days, then diminishes over o few days to the point that it barely cools after 7-10 days. This sounds more like a leak to me. Does the condenser at times leak to the point that it can?t be repaired?

Thanks for pointers in advance,

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed