High NOx explained? '81 Scirocco

Testing various things to pass smog test, I discovered that the plastic tube between the air flow sensor and the throttle body was split at the seam, thus being a major vacuum leak. Not hot on spending $80 for new, I sealed the old one up.

Now waiting on a Bosal CAT to bring HC down, but perhaps the NOx is no longer an issue.

I hate seeing old crud in the throttle body, though, and am thinking it might be good to pull it off and clean it up.

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

LOL. Switch the VIN with a Canadian MK1 Scirocco. They never came with CATS.

You should be able to find those intake boots at a wreckers somewhere.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Wreckers said "no got" when I asked for the friggin rubber boot that connects the plastic tube to the throttle body. Had to buy it from a dealer for $50. Didn't bother asking wreckers for the plastic tube, i glued the seam after the dealer said $80 for a new one.

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

What a vacuum leak? ;-)

I might have one of those tubes maybe. I would have to do some searching if you "really" need one!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1