leaking heater core - 1986 Golf

1986 VW Golf - 1.8L Gas w/ air conditioning

Q: Are the heater cores between the AC models and w/o AC models the same?

My heater core is leaking and it's gotta' go. I have access to a Bentley book but all it says about the difference between AC and w/o AC is with AC the refrigerant needs to be discharged. Otherwise I guess the directions are the same?

Q: How can I safely discharge the AC system.

-> I've owned the car for ten years now, the AC has never worked and there's nothing to save. I just want heat/defrosters for winter.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lacko

answers Yes

No AC doesn't need to discharge as the box can be seperated from the ac evaporator.

And it's a 2 hour repair

Reply to
news.wildblue.net

did you check with your dealer to see if the heater core replacement recall includes your Golf?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

No I haven't...It will not hurt for me to check on Monday, but my understanding is back in the 80's when heaters were blowing-up all over the place VW did have a free-of-charge repair program, but that ended 10 years later in the 1990's. I'm not the original owner, and I believe the heater core has been replaced since almost all the dashboard screws (up against the windshield) are missing. I doubt a VW repair would have left it that way so who knows if maybe this core will be the third time around!

Reply to
Jim Lacko

Reply to
none2u
1- recalls never expire 2- ac Freon doesn't need tobe removed 3- you separate the heater box from the ac evaporator box.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck