VW PASSAT 91 AUTOMATIK TRANSMISSION

hello,(SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH) please help me with my problem,because nobody in my contry can.

i have a vw passat variant 1991, 1985 cmc gasoline,tipe 2E, classic model and i have a problem with my transmission wich is automatik. i think the transmission is blocked in 3 rd gear. Is like this 1-2-3-D-E-P, but manualy is working in 1-2-3 but when i switch to D there is no change.as i said i think is bloked.

can you help me by giving me an information about what is not working please please thank you very much

Gabriel from Romania

Reply to
CROITORUGABRIEL

Gabriel:

First the obvious stuff:

a) the fluid level is correct? b) the linkage is undamaged and unbent? All bushings are in place? c) all other gears _and_ reverse are fine? d) the Neutral Safety Switch functions both in P and in N (neutral)?

When you drive at say.... 100kph, are the engine RPM unusually high?

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Yes do as Peter says. If it requires more diagnostic work you might need a repair manual, a digital volt-ohm meter, and some time to go through the electrical portion of your automatic transmission.

I have found that the electrical plugs on the transmission sometimes corrode and need to be cleaned and treated with some electrical grease. I have seen one harness that actually got water in it and that water travelled to the plug that goes into the transmission and it's right below the starter. Turned the connections green with corrosion and created shifting problems.

There is a tool, ross-tech.com or

for your area of the world. This tool can help you diagnose what the transmission is doing. Maybe a shop, or a neighbor, has this tool and knows how to use it. Now I would guess that your problem might be the wiring to the Vehicle Speed Sensor on the automatic transmission. The wires can flex and break like they did on mine. This might cause the transmission to not downshift into 1 or even 2 when in D. The transmission may go into a default condition so you are still able to drive it while having problems. ;-)

good luck, dave with a '91 Passat automatic (One out of many daves) USA

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1