new Direct Shift Gearbox transmission

A friend of mine just bought a new 2006 Jetta TDI yesterday with the Direct Shift Gearbox transmission. We were wondering how well this transmission is holding up in the real world ? It appears to have been available sine the Golf R32. The transmission works very well and is suppose to get the same milage as the manual tranmission which I find hard to believe.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

"Direct Shift"? Hmmnnn, sounds like a candidate for conversion to an electric vehicle (EV).

Reply to
Papa

Why? Its an automated manual transmission, not a power sapping automatic. The clever part about is the two clutches & the preselection of the next gear .

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Not only is it just as efficient, it shifts quicker than just about any human could, too.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

So far, so good. Only time will tell!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Sounds like a 1/4 mile candidate. How much torque would that box take.

Just kidding of course.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

After 5 years of development the Bugatti Veyron's torque can be handled by a DSG gearbox. I suppose it is slightly stronger than the one in a Golf or Passat....

Reply to
Ernest

It has worked great in my 2005.5 Jetta TDI with 6800 miles. There are a couple of odd things with the way it works. You cannot use the hand brake on a hill with the shifter in 'D' as the tranny wants to move the car. It will roll backwards on a steep hill when you slip your foot off the brake to hit the accelerator. If you punch the accelerator from a dead stop, there is a 1.5 second delay before the transmission engages and the engine RPM takes off! I still don't like that much. It also happens whenever you punch it to make a quick lane change or pass another vehicle on a two lane road. Same delay. I've learned to live with it by anticipating my moves and operating the accelerator 2 seconds in advance. Fuel economy at 65 MPH on the freeway has been 54 MPG with overall average for 6800 miles at 45.7 MPG. I'm very happy with this vehicle overall. TEMiller

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

Reply to
none2u

Is that the 16.4? Must admit I wasn't familiar with it till I took a tour of the website. Beautiful car. The mechanicals are incredible.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

I'm looking at the DSG info on the VW site. It says faster shifting in manual mode. So it preselects the next gear. What happens if the transmission preselects the wrong gear? Say your lightly accelerating in 2nd and it preselects 3rd. What happens when you suddenly select

1st and nail the throttle. Is this the delay Corrado Daddy refers to below? I suppose this could happen when its under automatic control too. Interesting transmission. I'm looking at a new GTI, so this might be something to consider.
Reply to
HerkyJerky

I believe that DSG only preselects gears in the 1 - 2, 3 - 4 or 5 - 6 range. The gears appear to be connected to each other with the dual clutches able to select only 1 of those 3 combinations.

See

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire