Removing a CAT from '96 Cabrio (continued from '96 Cabrio won't start)

I hacked the catalyitc converter off with a sawzall after iI discovered that it was glowing cherry red.The bolts to the front flange of the cat are rusted solid.It looks like that I'll be able to remove what is left of the cat if I grind the heads off of the bolts that secure both sides of the flange.My question is : are both sides of the flange threaded,or just the cat flange? If I can't get this assembly apart,I'm faced with the prospect of replacing the fron exhaust pipe..

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

TIA!!!!!!!

Reply to
Nevermind

So why did you want to remove it? Glowing read means it was working eating up a lot of hydrocarbons.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just nuts and bolts. No thread in the flanges.

Reply to
Woodchuck

This thing is so rusted I actually couldn't tell.All that I see are little nubs that look like screws instead of the usual 1/4" (or so) nuts,and bolts. I'm hoping that there will be enough of the flange left on the front exhaust pipe to install the new cat. I also cannot get the old O2 sensor off of the old CAT even though it is out of the car. (might be just as well) The new cat is an aftermarket job.it looks to be about 1/2 the size of the original......(?????)

Reply to
Nevermind