Catalytic Converter Stolen from Taco

Some crack heads in my area managed to rape my truck of it's catalytic converter....

Anyhow, it's got pre and post 02 sensors, and considering they left them in, but cut the pipe within an inch of them on both sides, I'm left with coming up with a solution...

I'm searching for solutions that make the most sense, and most importantly, save me the most money... I'm broke, I mean REAL broke... and if I can't get to work, I'll get even MORE broke... so keep in mind, I'm perfectly fine getting dirty and working on it myself... It's a 98 Taco 4x4 SR5 with 209,000 and still running strong...

Option #1 flange out the pipes, have muffler shop replace with an 'off the shelf' cat... - not impressive.

Option #2 straight pipe it, finding out the magical resistance/tolerance level for the rear sensor so it doesn't think the cat is degraded... (interested in this one)

Option #3 Stock cat - most expensive

Option #4 Magnaflow converter, but will still have to get a muffler shop to do the pipe work to get it ready to be completed. - doable, but costly as well....

if you have better options, let me hear them, I'm open for options...

Thanks guys...

Reply to
TN-Taco

Option #5 There is a frame recall for all 1995-2000 Toyota Tacomas,all of them will be purchased back regardless of condition for Kelly Blue Book value times 1.5 on top,see here or do a Google search:

Sidney=AE =99 Repairs TV's,VCR's,home/car audio out of my apartment E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1995 Toyota 4-Runner,22R-E,G52 with 227 000 KM
Reply to
sidneybek

Ok... what about the catalytic converter?

Not interested...

Anyone ELSE have an idea?

Reply to
TN-Taco

By the way, you happen to be wrong... it's not a recall...

taken from <

Here=92s how this will work: Starting in the middle of March and continuing over a period of time, owners of 1995-2000 Tacomas will be sent letters informing them about this issue. If you find rust perforation on your vehicle's frame, have your truck inspected by a Toyota dealer.

If frame corrosion damage is confirmed by an inspection at a Toyota dealership, at Toyota's option, we will either repair the vehicle or repurchase it. No matter the vehicle=92s actual condition, it will be valued as a vehicle in excellent condition. If the inspection reveals no rust perforation, the 15-year warranty will remain in force.

This is worth underscoring: This is not a recall. Rather, it=92s an example of our commitment to the durability of our products and to our owners. These are older trucks and rust is a fact of life, especially where road salt is used, but that=92s not what=92s important. What=92s important is that we take care of our owners. We just thought you should know that.

- Mike Michels, Corporate Communications

Reply to
TN-Taco

I feel for you buddy. With the stinking price of metals, this kind of crap is happening all the time. If I were you I'd get a piece of flexible exhaust pipe of the right diameter and intall it where the cat was. At least you can drive it without it sounding like World War II. It will keep throwing a P042 code but as long as the front O2 sensor is OK just ignore the check engine light. You've then got until the next emissions test to figure out what to do. By then you might consider replacing the exhaust pipes on either side of the cat as well as installing an aftermarket cat. If won't be cheap but doing it that way there's no custom work needed, you can do it yourself, it stays a stock setup and you get a mostly new exhaust. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

So sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me on an 89 Toyota 4X4 about a month ago. In my case they removed the bolts, with no cutting involved. As it turned out I was covered for it on my insurance with a $250.00 deductible, with the total cost for parts and labor coming to about $750.00 at the local dealer. Have you checked into that or is that another option for you?

Reply to
Larry

Just how do you know beyond a reasonable doubt that the removers are in fact truely "crack heads"?

Reply to
Frank

You're totally right... I shouldn't judge that way... they could have been meth-heads, coke-heads, or an pill-popper...

who knows... around here, they are saying that they get cut out, then sold to shady dealerships that are then selling them to scrap yards, or selling them right back to the people who had them cut off... I filed a police report and they said too often they are put back on the same car they were taken off of... I wasn't sure of that being likely... but who knows...

Reply to
TN-Taco

No emissions testing here... but that is certainly a good idea...

It wont' ruin the rear sensor? I thought it might fail if 'outside parameter' too long...

Reply to
TN-Taco

$500 deductible, $100 part, $300 labor... not really an option.... I wanted my company to foot the bill, but realized that wasn't the best avenue to travel either...

I'm thinking of going to a local scrap yard to get the flanges, and have it welded on myself... connect the flanges to a new converter, then have the pieces put on however needed...

Oh well....

Reply to
TN-Taco

I doubt putting a straight pipe where the cat was will hurt the rear O2 sensor. The rear sensor will be seeing the same exhaust gas as the front sensor so it will keep throwing a P042 "catalyst below minimum efficiency" code but it will output the same voltage at the same switching rate as the front sensor. If you don't have emissions inspections you could run like that indefinitely until the rest of the exhaust falls apart and then replace the whole thing. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

At least it was not a Lexus CAT. A friend of had to replace his, and it's a dealer only item, $1500. Same friend, also had the CAT stolen from his 94

4Runner, at least they unbolted it instead of cutting.

I was looking for a bolt in CAT coz my 4Runner was failing co2, but could not find one. I ended up going to the local muffler shop and installed a MagnaFlow, still keeping the flanges.

I don't know how much your are willing to spend, but for $65 you can get a Magnaflow or decent brand CAT, for $35 more have it installed.

Reply to
Rastamon