TDI Fuel economy got noticibly better after long trip, is this normal?

Hi

As you may or may not know I have a 1999 Golf TDI. I just got back from a long trip a week or so ago (1000+ Kms) of very hard driving on the engine (straight highway, at good speed, then country highways with winding roads, heavy acceleration, going up steep hills with 4 people and luggage, using engine compression to go down hills - automatic transmission). Anyhow, it was a nice trip, got good fuel economy... but now I have noticed my fuel economy is being sustained, and I am back to my normal city and short distance highway driving.... is this normal, was my engine "cleaned out" per say? I am happy, so there is no problem, just wanted to know if I should try to work in a good long trip every few months or something. I put on enough KMs in the year, but its mostly short distances, and a lot of starting/stopping (the reason why the automatic wasn't looking too bad when I found out I could only get a hold of an automatic TDI Golf).

I noticed that power delivery was a little sluggish at first, but by the end of the trip the engine seemed a little bit more responsive... I still wish I had a manual transmission for a trip like that; with all the passing, and accelerating, and hill climbing that I was doing... I even considered taking the A/C-less 1991 5 speed Golf, but its 12 year old timing belt, and its less comfortable seats and cabin ambiance swayed my descision (that and my friends would have physically injured me I think), plus why should I take what is now basically my brothers car :-), wouldn't want him drivng the new one you know ;-).

No problems on the trip, the car is now washed and clear of all bug related abuse on the paint. Nary an engine light came on :-), and the little car was praised for having a comfortable cabin (stuck short people in the back... knee room is a smidge too tight for me back there), great A/C system, and a very nice "club like" stereo system.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well, from what a friend told me about his Bettle TDI, the intake manifold tends to plug up unless you drive it hard every so often. Could the two events be related?

Reply to
Mauricio