TDI: air bubble(s) in fuel line OK or not?

OK, now I am irked at my dealership. I had the 20K service done, and the fuel filter replaced. After getting the car back, I noticed a hesitation or stuttering when first starting the car. After waiting a week and a half for it to clear up, I took it back to the dealer, thinking the problem was the air bubbles I could see in the diesel fuel line. The bubble is bigger if the car sits longer.

Initially the dealership manager seemed to agree this was a problem, but now claims that "every car on the lot" has air bubbles in the fuel line. I'm no mechanic, I don't know...

So, is a 1/2 to 3/4 inch air bubble in the fuel line normal after a TDI (2003 Golf) sits in the parking lot for 10 to 12 hours on a cool day?

My theory is that there is a slight air leak somewhere around the fuel filter, causing the power loss and thence the air bubble. I never noticed air bubbles in the fuel line before, but I rarely look under the hood so that may not mean much.

Car is at the dealership today being looked at.

-- Brian Hall Linux Consultant

Brian Hall

Now did I not say " I suggest you tell them only facts, like "It hesitates after a start" and not guesses, like "It may be air in the fuels system."? As soon as you try to tell the mechanic what is wrong, rather than what you have observed, he wants to prove you wrong. I don't understand why, but it seems to be the nature of the beast. Maybe it is just because I am always wrong.

In any case, you have a car that is hesitating and it should be under warrantee. Take it back and explain it still hesitates and you don't care is it because the Gosarate needs replaced, you just want it to stop hesitating.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

its common for these air bubbles to appear once the diesel fuel filter has been replaced, these should dissapear after a while, being filtered through the pump and eventually working their way out through the injectors, however because the fuel pipe will in certain arears be higher than the pump the bubbles may float around for a while. if they are still evident after a few days then there possibly is a leak somewhere around the filter unit. ideally there should be no bubbles at all so dont be convinced by the dealer that this is normal. the fuel pick up is emersed at the bottom of the fuel tank so why should you expect bubbles to appear unless of course there is a leak. steve UK.

Reply to
someone

I'd have thought it might be a problem, but I've just looked at my Audi A3 TDI. It's been standing for about 7hrs now, and there's one bubble about 5mm long in the clear fuel line. I've got no running problems.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

This is probably what is happening. Are they using the OEM clamps or the shitty aftermarket crapola hose clamps?

Did they fix it?

Reply to
Peter Parker