Thermostat question, 01 Jetta auto

Hi,

I'm replacing the thermostat in the car and the question is: What type of gasketing material is used between the body fo the engine and the "flange - the plastic hard part that fits over the thermostat" ?

This may be a dumb question but I really need the help, as the thermostat is off and the bell just rang!

Thanks, Dermott

PS For those who helped before, the testing for the fan control module was okay.

Reply to
diarmud

Which engine? Usually the thermostats on VWs use a rubber O-ring to seal it. NOTE: Different engines might have different size O-rings.

Plastic thermostat housings on the VR6 engines sometimes like to crack and leak.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

In order: Thermostat, O-ring, then flange. Install the flange slow and evenly, as the slightest degree of tilt will cause a leak.

Reply to
Madesio

Thank you for the info, it now works fine. I appreciate your posting an answer. Thanks again. Dermott

Reply to
diarmud