VW ALARM SYSTEM TELLS ME WHEN ITS RAINING

HI, For over a year, my 2000 VW JETTA TDI has been my weather man. After a rain, when I open my car door the alarm system fails to reset, so that when I start the engine I have to wait 30 seconds listening to the horn. Recently I have discovered that if I go to the trunk and open it with the key while the alarm is still sounding, the alarm system will reset thus turning off the horn. I do not use the remote to open the car as this has stopped working a while back (probably battery).

Given this automotpathy, can someone suggest what needs to be replaced and if it is possible to do this myself.

Regards, Barry

Reply to
barry

Jim Behning

Barry, it could be that you have a bad switch in the Driver's door. Do your dome lights come on propertly when you open the door? If you leave the lights on or your key in the ignition when you exit the car do you get the proper warning buzzer?

My TDI currently has a failed switch although the symptoms are not exactly the same. In any case, this failure is super-common failure. You can find references to this on tdiclub.com and on vwvortex.

Just go to the forums at either of these sites and search for "door switch".

or, On TDIclub.com you can search for "$3 Fix"

look for this thread on vwvortex.com; [ VWvortex ForumsGolf IV & Jetta IVDIY - Replacing the front door window regulator clips and/or door lock module [Archived] ]

I cannot say if you can fix this yourself... since I do not know you. I am going to fix mine myself. This may involve soldering on a $4 switch that I bought at Radio Shack or it may involve a new $100 + door lock module. Either way, it is not going to a shop. The labor to get into the door is going to take a few hours so be prepared..

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the info. I do think on of my door switches are broken. However, there might be other problems too. The electronics that go into locking my doors automatically when the car senses a certain velocity is working only periodically. Sometimes it will only figure out that the speed has been attained after the drive. I think this has to do with rain also. Probably the rain is causing a short. I wish there was a way of disabling the whole system and me changing out the door lock buttons so that I can lock them manually. I doubt my alarm system would prevent theft of my car, as when it goes off, not even a question is raised from passing motorists.

On the whole, after reading $3 fix, I think the best solution is to disable the system so that it won't be so annoying. But perhaps the alarm system/speed indicator and door locks are so interconnected i might not be able to open the doors once I do this. Maybe someone could suggest how I might try.

Regards, Barry

Reply to
barry

You can do some programming with VagCom. If you have a RossTech kit you are on your way. Do a search for RossTech and alarm or visit vwvortex.com to see what people are up to. Note that there are some idiots over there so you need to filter out the goofballs.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Great, I check it out, Thanks. Barry

Reply to
barry

I seem to remember that you possibly can disconnect the alarm module and jumper connections to the starter on some VWs. I vote for a problem with the wiring to the door or the latch/lock itself and you fix it properly.

The remote doesn't work?

snip

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1