After narket alarm system for '99 Camry?

Hi,

I have a v6 '99 XLE with power locks, but no Remote Access or Alarm.

Does anyone know of a reasonable solution for me to add remote access, trunk release too, and if possible a decent alarm system? The OEM alarm/remote part is about $450 Canadian plus 2 hrs labour to install, and the trunk release is additional to this plus yet more labour.

Thanks!

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

I have a '96 Camry 4 cyl LE. After finding out the cost/limitations of the factory alarm system I opted for an aftermarket unit. My choice was also motivated by choosing a factory unit on my other vehicle. The brand I chose is Avital, but there are many quality aftermarket units available. The shop I used had units that would do things I had never considered like calling your cell phone when tripped. I paid just under $250 US for mine installed, but I chose a model with a few more bells and whistles that entry models, and I also had a electric trunk release installed at the same time.

I suspect that the XLE model already has an electric trunk release in place so it should be an easy addition for your install.

Visit a few aftermarket alarm outlets, and ask for a quote. I'll bet it's more featured/affordable than the factory offering.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee

the trunk is cable operated

Reply to
I'm Right

One cheap but effective after-market alarm simply looks for any sudden changes in batery voltage,..even a small amount which occurs when your door switch operates the interior light or the ignition is switched on before the starter is engaged. It will sense the boot light as well.

These are sold in auto-shops for about $ 40-50. It comes with one or two remotes. The alarm runs for 30s and resets (keeps EPA happy). It also allows

5 minutes for any accesories to operate and stop after switch-off, such as radiators fans.

Another cheap way is to design a simple latching (once triggered it wont stop) alarm which is triggered by the door-switches. All it takes is 2 relays, a aural alarm and a switch plus wire.

The two relays come on when a door is opened. One relay, now operated, supplies a steady volts to the other so it cant stop or release until the arm/disarm switch is operated. The latched relay operates the screamer and the interior lights.

This simple cheap alarm has saved one of my cars from 4 attempts by thieves.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James