VW navigation systems

I'm considering buying a VW MFD navigation system for my Jetta. But I am not sure how well they work (in the U.S. in particular) and what the differences are between the versions that have been released (I have seen references to a version D and a version G, for example).

has them for ~US$1400. Can they be had elsewhere from a reputable sourec for less?

Comments on the system or alternative systems that work and blend well in an '04 Jetta are welcomed.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Talley

I installed a GPS system into my '88 Cabbie for about $120.

I am using my existing Gateway laptop (14 inch screen) with Windows XP as the display device, Microsoft's Streets & Trips 2005 for the GPS software, and a Holux GM-210 GPS receiver. I installed a car laptop mount from "mobilelaptopmount", which consists of a Plexiglas platform for the laptop and iron pipe fittings to act as a leg, which includes a large flange bolted to the floor of the car. I located the laptop mount just to the left of the front passenger's legs (next to the center console), and it can be swiveled for viewing by either the driver (PLEASE STOP THE CAR FIRST) or the front passenger.

Total cost, not including the laptop which I already had, was about $120, consisting of $30 for S&T 2005, $40 for the Holux receiver, $30 for the laptop mount, and $20 for the 110 volt power adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.

The mobilelaptopmount website

has many photographs of such installations.

Reply to
Papa

Thanks for the info, but I think I want a more integrated system.

For about the same cost as the MFD system, I can build my own custom car computer with more features, but > I installed a GPS system into my '88 Cabbie for about $120.

Reply to
Brian Talley

Have you looked at the Magellan and Garmin brands? As I understand them, they can be integrated, plus you can take them with you when you trade cars. Good luck.

Reply to
Papa