water in the gas??

89 Jetta GLi 16 v The engine misses when I have a half tank of gas, but seems to miss a lot less the lower the tank gets?? Any Ideas? I've already run a couple of water removers through it.

Thanks! daniel Computer/Networking Services

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
d. freem

Why do you think you may have water in the gas? I would stop with the gas dryer.

Try loosening the gas cap and see what happens.

When was the last time you have a tune-up? New plugs, wires rotor cap, may be time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you had water in the tank it would normally get worse as the tank gets empty. Usually a cap or two of methanol Hydrate will solve the problem.

Reply to
HotRod

I can't believe there's still a market for DryGas. Gasoline has 10% Ethanol. Think about it, if you fill up your 15 Gallon tank you've got a gallon and a half of dry gas.

--Vic

Reply to
vjs

It could be the infamous A2 transfer pump. When my car would reach 1/4 tank and lower it would act like it was running out of gas when it still had plenty left and the fuel pump got noisier (is your fuel pump noisier with less fuel in the tank? should should the same all the time.). New transfer pump solved the problem.

Reply to
Matt B.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Thanks, Joseph! The gas cap is now loosened. How does benefit? Also, new plugs were installed earlier this year. Probably time plug wires about now (230K miles) too!!

Reply to
d. freem

If the gas cap loosing helps, then that would indicate it is not functioning correctly or your fuel pump is going bad. The car can't pump fuel to the engine if air can't get into the tank. This problem would be lessened with a almost empty tank.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan