10w-30 vs. 10w-40 in 8.1L

Has anyone tried using 10w-40 in the '02 and up 8.1L engines to see if they still use a quart every 1K miles?
My '02 in consistently using 1 qt. every 1K miles, especially when doing
more towing of our 32' fifth-wheel. Just added another quart this weekend and that should take it to the next change. Thinking about trying it with 10w-40 next round.

Stick with what Chevy says to use (10W30). 1 qt per 1k miles is "normal" for the newer engines.
Doc

NO NO NO Do not put 10-40 in your chevy. 10-40 is bad oil. Thats why nobody uses it anymore and it is hard to find. I have worked in a chevy garage for 33 years Most big blocks over the last 30 years have used alittle oil especially the 8.1 Talk to your dealer, I have seen GM replace some engines if that oil usage is documented