Re: Will 10w-40 make a big difference

snipped-for-privacy@thefreesite.com (llama_man)news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The wife had the oil changed and my 98 5sp Maxima ended up with 10w-40 > in the crankcase. The manual recommends 10w-30 for the temperature in > my area. I figured I would let it go for 3,000 miles and then switch > to the correct viscosity. Does anyone think this is a big deal with > summer quickly approaching? >

The viscosity ranges have gotten wider because of the dumbing down of america (the average IQ, SAT score and AFQT scores are falling rapidly) and because of lawsuits.

10w is like for Alaska and Minnesota below zero and 40 W is like for Texas in the summer with an older engine.

In the south you can run straight 30w all the time becuase it's temp range, if I remember correctly, is 20 degrees to 120. (outside temp, not engine)

The more swing in viscosity levels, the less able each wieght can work. It's a blend of oils when you get 10-40 and each one doesn't really do the best job therefor.

The only real oil sold in most of America to most car owners post 1990 should be 20w-30w, but there is not one oil in that range.

I run straight 30w because I live in the south and it never gets under 20 except for maybe 4 days a year. My cars get better gas milage and run cleaner. I had a caddilac (good engine? Just lucky I guess) who's engine oil dipstick was always an nice amber color instead of black; nice and clean and clear. But then I change my oil every 2-3k miles.

Reply to
Mapanari

BuddyWh news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I cringe when I hear these young hotshots starting their cars up on a cold winter's morning, sitting there unconcerned and uncaring for the hundreds of other people still sleeping, roaring and reving up their engines...and then I smile....he'll get his in about 40,000 miles.

Reply to
Mapanari

It's a good thing that no one but you buys this nonsense. Ever hear a car that hasn't started in 3 days cranking 20w oil at 20 degrees ? Sorry, your theory doesn't wash. Maybe _you_ can use 20/30, a large part of the country can't unless they want startup damage.

Goodie for you. For those of us who live where temps can drop to 0 or less one week and be up above 50 the next, we need a multi-viscosity. That's most of the cold parts of the country.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

'nuther Bob news:6frfkv047t9hg1mjvvnm65oh0b6od66u4d@4ax .com:

Then you know nothing about oils. A 30w is flowing just fine on most days but if it's below 20 degrees, some 20w mixed with it would be in order.

But you have to remember, the viscosity is just a small part of the oil's properties. What you're describing is either bad oil or oil that hasn't been changed in a long time or the wrong oil becuase after 3 days all your internal engine parts should have a nice thin fine coating of oil still sticking to them.

If they didn't, all cars would last about 10,000 miles because metal would be grinding on metal.

Obviously that isn't the case.

What's your problem? A naysayer just to get attention? I already said that if you lived in the south, this is the oil, and if you lived in Minnesota or ALaska of course you need diferent oil...in alaska in from the coast you would need 5W-30, which morons in New York to Kansas actually buy to put in their cars. This would be fine in a brand new Japanese high RPM engine with tighter tolerances than most shitty american motors retrofitted from 40 year old engine blocks, cheap parts and union labor.

IN most american made engines I'd say you could use 20-50 most of the time in almost all areas of the USA and do fine, which Castrol and others do sell.

Reply to
Mapanari