2003 Envoy fron diff leaking

Hello
Need some advise on this one Wife's 2003 Envoy 4x4, 17 000 km, started dropping oil on the garage floor some days ago. As soon as I noticed it I dived under to discover that it is leaking from
the left front axle seal, as it comes out of front differential.. I checked the other (right side), no leak there, but I noticed that both left and right axles have little play in there, as they come out of the differential. Is this normal? I told wife to take it to the dealer. Wife took the vehicle to the dealer for (warranty), but few days later, at that time it stopped leaking, so they did not do anything, said it is just sweating and it is normal. This was most reputable GM dealer in town. Yesterday I checked the level in the front diff, it was bit low, so I topped it up, adding maybe 1/4 of a liter. Will check if seal is leaking tonight. I do not know what to make out of this, I wish I had a time to take it to he dealer myself. How much play should be there in front axles, the part of it which sits in differential? Any thoughts on this? TIA
Ziggie
Ziggie wrote:

It is normal to have some play in the axles where they exit the diff. You will have a difficult time finding any that are completely tight. The seals are designed to be able to accept a certain amount of play.

I would monitor the leak, and take it in if it becomes obvious. A leak usually means that a "drop" of oil has formed and is visible at the point of leakage. Anything less then that, and the dealer will tend to dismiss it as "sweating".
Ian
Play in the shafts is normal. My left seal has been replaced before, the last time along with the bearing. Replacing the bearing seems to have length'nd the seal life. I had the right side fail when my truck was under warrenty, it caused the bearing to fail. I would keep an eye on this.
I dont buy the 'sweating' excuse. But I do believe that if dirt was to get caught in the seal, it might weep oil. I had this happen to the right side with 100K on it, it eventually stopped leaking.
Confused? lol
Cheers