79' chevy blazer engine change with a 79' 350 camero problems.

I recently changed an engine from a 79 Camero into a Chevy blazer. The engine was used and sitting in a carport for 8 months or so. I didn't think they would pull an engine unless it was going strong. And they swear that it didn't smoke at all when they pulled it. But when I put it into the truck and did a complete tune-up and even thru a rebuilt carb for that year on it smokes from the passenger side. I think its number 8 cylinder. It gets covered with grease and fouls. Is there something that might be stuck in the engine that I am not finding like rings or some more time to wake it up. Or did I get screwed by my GF dad?

I ran compression test on it before I installed the plugs I got 130 on all of the plugs except number 2 but it has since gone up to 130. But number eight is oily. And that was the cylinder that was fouling in the old engine. I don't know what is going on?

Reply to
D.L. Man

did you check the heads on the engine. seeing as how the engine sits at a slight angle to the back (6 degrees i believe)and the fact that the no 8 cyl in in the rear i have to believe that you either have a valve that is not seated or your stem seals could be leaking. also i have run into similar situations where the lifter valley oil drain holes get clogged with sludge and the oil happily runs down the valve stem into the head. let us know.

Reply to
BADMOJO

Could be as simple as a bad plug wire.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I pulled the valve cover and I looked into the oil hole. It was plugged with something like sand or hardened oil. I poked it with a screw driver and got thru it and pulled out allot of junk. I couldn't get the screw driver down the hole very far. I don't know if it turns in there somewhere? I tried running it afterwards and there wasn't any smoke but there was a new plug in there. So it might not smoke. But I looked thru the oil filler cap and I didn't see any oil flowing around in there. But it could be nothing.

Let me know what you think.

D.L. Man

Reply to
D.L. Man