83 Suburban 6.2L 700 Transmission not shifting

Hello, i recetly rebuilt the engine in this truck. Today I started it up for the first time & found it does not want to shift into any gear. The shift linkage apears to be working correctly, all the cables, and electical are hooked up. The transmission was working fine before we removed and reinstalled the engine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? The truck is an 83

6.2l Diesel, 4 Wheel Drive, 1/2 ton, with an automatic 700 tran. Thank you, Jade
Reply to
Jade

Did you bolt the converter to the flexplate?

the first time & found it does not want to shift into any gear. The shift linkage apears to be working correctly, all the cables, and electical are hooked up. The transmission was working fine before we removed and reinstalled the engine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? The truck is an 83 6.2l Diesel, 4 Wheel Drive, 1/2 ton, with an automatic 700 tran.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
LKN4SNO

or even worse, did he bolt the converter to the flex plate and then try to mate up engine and transmission ('Don't worry, Mabel, I'll pull it down tight with them thar bell housing bolts')

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

eeewwwwwww...Can you say cracked pump?

Reply to
Shades

one can imagine the original poster saying ' Oh.............................shit'............................

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

On can imagine me saying "I'm lucky"

I didn't put the TC on first, but the same thing happened.... 3500miles going so far.....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ