transmission not shifting

Have a 94 Grand Cherokee with I6, automatic, and it's on it's 2nd transmission rebuild at 153k miles. Don't recall mileages when the 1st one or this one was done.

For many thousands of miles the transmission has been getting worse to shift. It shifts from 1-2 fine but getting frm 2-3 would often require you to get up to 2.5-3K+ RPM range and then let your foot off the gas for a second for it to shift. It would then shift to 3 and almost immediately shift into 4.

Yesterday the car was bad. I'd have to go all the way to more then 3k and let off the gas for a few seconds and it would shift to 3rd HARD. Car would jolt front-to-back pretty bad. Then all of a sudden it just wouldn't want to shift into third. I had to start off in 2nd (on the selector) and when I hit 3000-3100 RPM in 2nd I'd let off the gas and move to the D position and it would go down to 3rd.

I'm trying to get a guestimaet at what would be the problem and what a fair amount to fix it would be. The car isn't worth more then $2k based on age, mileage, and condition of exterior/interior, but the engine seems strong (no problems in 153k miles) and the only other known issue is a slight leak in the transfer case (a few drips per day if that). So I may want to fix it because it's good for hauling stuff.

Reply to
Evan Mann

I just picked up a cherokee with a freind the other day, drove like that, he got a good deal on it because of that, he figures it's the oil filter in the tranny is plugged, has to get rpms up before it builds up enough presure to get oil moving, and once it shifts, pressure goes down and and wont shift to next till rpms, and pressure are up again.

Reply to
Greg

That sounds far less expensive then a rebuild. I really don't hear any type of grinding or what I can feel as slipping that would indicate gear/syncro problems. Do you have to pull the tranny apart to change said filter?

Are Aamco shops any good for transmission, or should I find an independant shop, or some other chain store?

Reply to
Evan Mann

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Although I don't know much, according to freind that bought the jeep, it is just a matter of dropping the bottom pan, cleaning or changeing the filter, then I would guess new gasket and filler up.

Reply to
Greg

and I bet they'll want to rebuild it right away. That's the impression I have of the AMMACO in my area. I would try the filter/fluid change first with an independant garage or service station. And,the independant may have knowledge of the problem, having repaired the same on another customer's vehicle. Yep, filter/fluid change is the cheapest fix and you're not out much if it doesn't fix it.... can't hurt it.

Tom T

Reply to
Tom T