94 CHEV DIESEL

My 94 chev diesel 6.5L is a driving me crazy.

Fuel pump has been replaced twice in 6 years. At a cost of $2500.00 canadian, my fuel savings are out the window. Are there any options for these vehicles besides getting rid of it. A new truck is not an option. Any aftermarket pumps that would perform any better? Let me know. thanks

Reply to
FRUSTRATED

you ned to relocate the pump driver off of the injection pump. what happens on those things is the driver is inadequately cooled by the pump body and slowly cooks itself. go to

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Hello Frustrated,

Install an in-line diesel fuel filter/water separator, like the Racor 645, between your fuel tank and the electric fuel lift pump. You can choose between 30micron, 10micron and 2micron filter elements. Check the

website for advertisers (or do a search on "racor

645" other installation/troubleshooting tips. Good luck.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

Reply to
farmerboy

Hello farmerboy,

I believe the worst enemies of a diesel fuel injection pump (and injectors) are water and foreign particles in the diesel oil, and low lubricity diesel oil. The fuel filter/water separator installed between the fuel tank and electric fuel lift pump will address the first two. Your electric fuel lift pump will also benefit from the filter/separator (some replacement electric fuel lift pumps will have their warranty voided if no filter is installed between the pump and the fuel tank).

Franko

Reply to
Franko

Franko, that is a valid point with regards to installing a water separator, good insurance for your fuel system especially the injector tips. But the problem with the 6.5 pump was identified by Bret, and that is the correct answer for the 6.5 issue. Too much heat not water in the fuel.

Reply to
Demon

sell it or learn to grin and bear it

it's a known problem and GM offered **free** extended warranties to cover the pump issues

I had mine changed 2X in 240K km, both under warranty. Sold it when it started acting up the 3rd time and was out of warranty.

Reply to
Mike_d2

Thanks, Demon, for clarifying that.

Reply to