'95 Suburban Vibration

Greetings,
I have a '95 Suburban 4X4 1/2 ton with 102,000 miles. Engine runs great, but truck has recently begun to vibrate ONLY while under acceleration, very
slight vibration while cruising. Some folks have suggested that it's a U-joint problem. I am desperately hoping that it is NOT a transmission problem (shifts fine). Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all who respond.
-
Very worn out U JOint. At 100k replace them anyways, and cheap to do. If it vibes that bad and is a ujoint you are close to failure.
Other options: bent rim, bent axle, bad wheel bearing, tire out of round (or seperated).
So I'd examine all your rims and tires and replace the Ujoints (cheap main item) and see what happens. If it still vibrates, then you need to go further.

Might be missing. I had a similar problem and it would only act up under mild acceleration and worse w/o cruise but would pull hard under hard acceleration. It would only be a slightly rough idle but not always. on a flat, it did great, under acceleration, would shake lightly to harshly depending in temps and the hill. End result was a bad computer. Whether the computer caused the injector to go bad or versa-visa, replaced the injector, the plug(for good measure), and the computer($115 NEW) and it runs like a top!!!

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:19:59 -0500, Shades wrote:

That could be the problem. I had a similar thing with a bad plug wire. I thought I had a bad U-Joint but my mechanic found the problem about 1 minute after I brought it in. He was ticked 'cause he had just done the tune-up a month before and he got the wires from NAPA. I like problems that get fixed for free. :)
coldfire
I have a 98 GMC Sonoma with the same problem. Damn I sure would like to figure this one out. At low speeds no problem, then when I get up to 50 or more then it vibrates. thinking bent rim, bad tire, bent drive shaft. after 80 it goes away.
I have a similar problem with my '03 Sierra 2500 HD. Between 60-65, I get some vibration in the rear end. They replaced a U-Joint that was going dry and seizing up, and after that I started getting that vibration. Brought it back and they re-balanced one of the rear tires that looked as if it threw a weight. It had a negligible effect on the vibration. As a side note, they balanced the tire with 8 oz of weight. I never had that much on before...I'd have remembered the size of the weight and I've never had a tire that had that much on it.
Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Tony