98 blazer problem

I have a 1998 blazer and last night the right turn indicator started blinking approx 2 - 3 times faster than normal. I checked all the obvious things like burnt bulbs etc and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. Would any one have any ideas as to what this might be? The left indicator works normally.

Reply to
billybob

You've probably got a blown bulb, probably in the back. Look harder. Turn signals are usually two bulbs, so if one is cooked the blinkers will still "work", but the lesser electrical load on the system makes it blink faster and the blink isn;t as bright.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Don't you mean the greater load of a dead-short filament? I KNOW it is*greater* load, such as when you add trailer lights. This is because the blinker works by heating a bi-metal strip to connect/disconnect. I bet it's either a shorted single filament bulb, or the second filament in a dual filament bulb. Maybe a slight short?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

okay, i'll check that... i've only had the truck for 3 weeks and don't know how the signals are set up.. i just assumed that if the bulb was gone that particular indicator wouldn't light up at all... my ford is that way lol... thx for the help

Reply to
billybob

Reply to
Elliott

Elliott,

The filament doesn't get shorter - like your winkie in the cold does. It still has 0ohm continuity but it doesn't light up.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

"KJ" wrote

Careful, KJ....you are venturing into "Elliott" territory here.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
Elliott

Well then what is it actually? Because trailer lights add more load and you and I know how many posts we get about fast blinkers & trailers!

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ