Blazer Compass Problem

We own a 2002 four door LS S-10 Blazer that has the overhead console with the temperature/compass display. The compass just started to act strange in that when the vehicle is started up the direction displayed on the compass is correct but once I start to drive and change directions the compass does not show a change in direction. I would like to know whre the compass sensor is locted along with the compass circuit. I have searched the Internet and only found information on the outside temperature/thermometer location but not the compass. If anyone had this problem I'd appreciate either knowing how much it cost to repair or where to find the compass sensor or circuitry. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lou

Reply to
Lou

Lou-before you spend any money on this-do you have an owners manual? Look up(if you do) the chapter on this item. There should be a section showing a map of the US and the different geographic areas with numbers. There will also be a way to see if your compass is set to the right area. Lastly I believe that to 're-set' the compass(which I would try first b-4 spending any $) you go to a large parking lot and make 3 right hand turns without stopping-complete circles. This will re-set a compass not working at all( I realize not your problem but...)...I would give it a try in your case...what do you have to lose. jp

Reply to
blazerman

Reply to
Shep

Recalibrate by doing about 8 donuts in a row....or maybe your compass is bad. It is located inside the OHC. As one said earlier you might have the wrong geographical area in the OHC as well.

Reply to
honk_on_bobo

I have a 2000 LS also and have had the console down to look at upgrading my compass/temp computer to the driver information center from a Bravada/Trailblazer. But the compass can be either internal (4dr console) or external (2dr shorty console). The 2dr shorty console uses the external compass sensor that is at 90* to the console on a plastic plate. The 4dr compass is internal to the display computer. You should try the recalibration procedure in the manual..

As soon as I can afford to get some 22awg yellow wire I will be installing the DIC (Driver Information Center) from a 2000 Blazer with sunroof...

Reply to
Mark