Anti-Freeze leak

I have a 1996 chevy 1/2 ton pickup that is leaking antifreeze from under the passenger side dash board. There is no leaking outside in the engine compartment just inside under the dash. Does anyone know what's going on and
how to fix it? Thanks John
johncjr60 wrote:

Heater core or connection to it.
Remove and replace is the best solution.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Heater core. Dmax
Heater Core for a fact. I had a 1998 1-ton that went through 6 heater cores in a little over two years. Thank goodness my mechanic replaced them for free as they never made it out of warranty and he could not understand what was going on. The last year I had the truck I had radiator problems and replaced it with an oversized one and had no more heater core trouble.

Is your antifreeze Dex Cool? Then read this:
GM settles class-action suit GM General Motors
(AP) -- General Motors has agreed to settle a series of class-action lawsuits claiming a faulty engine coolant damaged thousands of customer vehicles.
Under the settlement, GM would reimburse class members between 50 and 800 dollars for repairs linked to Dex-Cool, which GM used in cars and trucks beginning in 1995.
The total cost to GM will depend on the number of customers claiming damages. But the plaintiffs' attorneys say the price tag could reach the hundreds of millions of dollars.
A GM spokesman says the company isn't admitting any wrongdoing, but is settling the case to cut down on legal bills.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Jon

Why???
Hairy wrote:

GM will PAY for your Repairs . REFUND your Money. And Why did you cut off the rest of the post .

Because it was not material to my question. Should have been obvious.
What makes you think GM will pay for an under-dash coolant leak?
Dave
Jon wrote:

My concern is this.... Is the Dealer going to put DEX-COLL back into the Vehicle that WAS damaged BY DEX-COOL?
Nice to see that all those HOT SHOT MECHANICS here now Know they Were Wrong with They Sided with GM and SAID FAULTY GASKET ... And Said to BUY a Certain companies OVERLY PRICED gaskets to cure the problem and when it leaked again ,and Blamed it on the SHADE TREE MECHANIC who did the Repair JOB.
REMEMBER the GOOD OLD GREEN STUFF , My 1989 S10 STILL Has the Same old GREEN STUFF that was in it When I bought the Truck NEW with 8 miles on it
First Tom, payment will be made to members of the CLASS. those who were party to the suit. Not some one who just happens along after the fact. And the gasket WAS a bad design. The new design solved that particular problem. Get a grip guy, no one who didn't know of the suit is a party to the suit or a member of the CLASS. Jesus, JR

JR wrote:

I received money for Repairs made and I was Not a member of a Class suit

You telling me the Designed og Every Gasket was Wrong? V6's 4's V8's

So the Gasket Design Was the Reason That Dex-cool Ate thru all of Them Gaskets But Preston ( The Green Stuff) Does not eat thru those Same Gaskets .

WOW, that was quick.

That _IS_ the pattern failure. (4 cylinder engines didn't use this style of gasket)

Your version, not necessarily anyone else's.

Your version, not necessarily anyone else's.
NOTHING got "ate thru." The nylon framework of the gaskets fractured due to shear forces, once fractured, the sealing component could shift allowing coolant to leak. The mechanics of the failure is obvious to anyone who has actually looked at a set of the failed gaskets.

Yes John, you became a member of the class after fileing the paperwork.

Which occurred well "after the fact" of the suit being filed, and being adjudicator/settled. I was not part of the suit until "after the fact", and made it known to the executor of the settlement that "Hey, I want my cut too!"
John

That should be "adjudicated"

I understood John, =). What I misunderstood was your first post. mea culpa JR

What proof do you have that this truck was damaged by DexCool? This appears to be a heater core leak, a failure not even mentioned in the law suit.

Even though it _was_ faulty gaskets. Your lack of comprehension doesn't make it different.

Haven't had one leak again after dozens and dozens of repairs.

Cite?

1) Your 89 S-10 didn't come equipped with the style of gaskets in question.
2) Plenty of vehicles named in the suit that were switched over to "the GOOD OLD GREEN STUFF" developed leaks also.
3) Leaving the same coolant in for 19 years makes you some kind of stupid.
4) Wanna take a guess how many heater cores leaked in 80s S-10s and Blazers that came with "the GOOD OLD GREEN STUFF?"