Antifreeze leak

Antifreeze is leaking from my '85 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel. Not sure yet from where. Maybe the water pump. Hope not as it is expensive to have that
type of work done on this because you have to take a part the whole front of the motor practically. So my question is, I was thinking of using that stop leak stuff. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? What is the best brand that works? In this situation, would this help? Thanks for the help.

I wouldnt use any stop leak. I did the waterpump on the my dads 6.2 in an 84 chevy truck, it was no problem to get it done in one evening.
Why not use stop leak? Wouldn't do this myself, but take it to a mechanic. When I had it done on the old 6.2, it was over $1000 to fix.

yet
that
of
stop
help.
84
Do a search in the archives for this NG for "Fluctuating temp. gauge - solved!!" and you will get a real good idea of why to NEVER use this stuff (under any trade name).
If you have a problem, fix it, don't put a bandage on it. Locate the water leak and fix what is causing it. Keep in mind that "stop leak" stuff only may temporarily help a problem. The thing about this stuff is that when (not "if") the thing starts to give you fits again, you'll be in much more hurt than before.
$1000 to change out a water pump?? Find another mechanic. Incidentally, see if the 6.5 water pump will bolt up the same and if it's interchangable with the one from the 6.2. If so, then get a '97+ pump, as it moves about 70% more coolant.
Snowman

yet
of
stop
The only thing I could find is one called part 4. Was it removed or something? Can you fill me in? Thanks. "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

that
front
help.
yes, someone put that junk in my wife's burb cooling system before we bought it to "hide" something. It rared it's ugly head at me this summer and caused my problems of overheating cylinder(s), hot spots in the driver side head and many days of pulling my hair out trying to isolate the trouble before I pulled the heads.
Chunks of this stuff fell out of the head, upon removal. Head gasket problem at the same time? Couldn't really tell - appeared to possibly one bad spot, but not definate. The stop leak junk was the worst part of the whole deal. Had I known that was in there, I could have pulled the heads to begin with knowing there would be clogged cooling passages and been done with it to start. That is this stuff's job - to plug up holes. Fact is that it doesn't discern between the "good ones" and the "bad ones."
See the comments from vlj, as he's got some good info there.
Snowman

sure
best
..
Antifreeze leak Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 7:57pm (CDT+8) From: cadman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (MarkG.)
Antifreeze is leaking from my '85 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel. Not sure yet from where. Maybe the water pump. Hope not as it is expensive to have that type of work done on this because you have to take a part the whole front of the motor practically.
So my questions are, I was thinking of using that stop leak stuff.
1.... Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
2.... What is the best brand that works?
3..... In this situation, would this help?
Thanks for the help. ====== ====== Mark, answers to yer questions......
1..... Yes.
2..... pepper
3...... possibly
yer welcome
marshmonster ~:~suggests you fix it, or ...... youllllll beeeee sorrrrrryyyyy~:~
Fix it right the first time and don't use pepper. It will work buy will only last a real short time.
(Mark G.)
Antifreeze is leaking from my '85 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel. Not sure yet from where. Maybe the water pump. Hope not as it is expensive to have that type of work done on this because you have to take a part the whole front of the motor practically.
So my questions are, I was thinking of using that stop leak stuff.
1.... Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
2.... What is the best brand that works?
3..... In this situation, would this help?
Thanks for the help. ==========Mark, answers to yer questions......
1..... Yes.
2..... pepper
3...... possibly
yer welcome
marshmonster ~:~suggests you fix it, or ...... youllllll beeeee sorrrrrryyyyy~:~
Well I found out today that it is the water pump. A mechanic told me that it would cost me $275 to replace with a new one. That included labor. Is this a fair price? Should a water pump have gone out at around 70-80k? Thanks.

yet
of
stop

that it

Is this a

Thanks.
[snip]
Mark,
Probably, you are welcome. I figure since all I can gather from your posts is that its both 80K and 18 years old, it "probably could be," toast and should have gone out.
With the consideration of $60/hr labor, lets say, [estimating], total hours would be about 4 and one half. I would "guess" it would take half that at most. Thats a guess mind you. That leaves 137.50 for the water pump. Sorry I don't have time to look up parts prices for you tonight.
Hatt
$189 labor for 3 hours of work. And then $75 for the pump. Plus a few for the coolant. Sound right? I have used this guy before and he does pretty well. But I have been burnt once before on a similar job that is why my first guess was so high.

Mark,
Did you check to see if the 97+ water pump for the 6.5 TD will fit your engine? If so, then you may want to consider this, since it moves a much higher volume of water.
Snowman

I will do that. Taking the truck in Monday after work to get this done. So is the $275 a fair price? Thanks. "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

your
moves a much

Reply is to: Mark,
Depends on how much you charge for your time, [how much its worth to you, your muscle, tool payments, and/or your sweat and blood per hour], I'd guess.
I like to stand off, if its at the dealer and watch the tech spend about 3/4's of the time totally out and away from the vehicle he's working on. Peekin around the corner looking to see if you are still there. And they still get it done in half the time!
Hatt
Okay, so I am taking it in on Monday after work. So is there anything I should be aware of that the mechanic should do in this procedure with a 6.2L diesel? Thought someone made mention of some plate or something that may need to be resealed or something? Thanks.

Anyone got an answer to my last post? Snowman? Thanks.