lidl antifreeze tester

This any good for checking the coolant strength. Mine hasn't been reknewed in about 4 years but cars fine. Thought I could buy this 99p tool and test it. Just wondering if it accurate or a load of rubbish ?

thanks

Reply to
Dubber

"Dubber"?

Erm...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

it will tell you the antifreeze level with regard to freezing point, but not its quality as regards anti-corrosion which is the real reason to replace the coolant on a regular basis.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah - Glof. I see - yeah, that should definitely have coolant.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

:) yeah A bit of a Veeedub freak. Yip coolant is a good thing on a hot engine :)

Reply to
Dubber

Ahhh I see is there a more able an afforable one that can do this ?

Do garages call this a sniff test ?

Reply to
Dubber

Nope, if you care you just change it. (If you really want to know then you can test the nitrite level, kittiwake sell test strips but it won't be economic)

That's for exhaust gases from a blown HG.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ahhh ha you are like an encyclopeadia (a few beers later I wonder if I spelt that right lol) Duncan :). I had a little coolant leak topped up with g12, not too much. Then started thinking I wonder how old this stuff is. I think I'll drain it and change it. I think on the nk4 golf there is a drain plug on the rad at the bottom left, undo, fose it out and refil I think it goes.

Always wondered what a sniff test was for. Hopefully never have to find out.

Reply to
Dubber

Buy a new O ring 1st, & to be honest I've always found it easier to take the hose off. The local waste tip should have a recycling point.

Reply to
Duncan Wood