Automatic Transmission service

Can you tell me if there is a special way to change the ATF on my automatic transmission? It's in an 02 S10 Blazer 4x4. It looks like it needs to be changed, but I am curious if I should have the service
department do it. I know I can drop the fluid and change the gasket and filter with no problems, but if I take it in, won't they be better able to pump the old fluid out? I mean, don't they have some device that will ensure that all the old fluid is removed, or am I on crack? The fluid is pretty dark, and it smells a little burned so I want to do this before I try driving it or diagnosing it further for my shimmy/shudder problem. I am also curious to see if there are any telltales in the filter, etc. I am of course hoping for a simple non-issue... :)
Thanks, Carlton
After I change the filter and gasket, I add ATF. Then after about 100 miles I drain the fluid and add till full and then repeat once more. Can't remember if your veh has a drain plug, if not install one on the first change.

your best bet is to find a service senter that has bg produts for a trans flush will cost more but i have personal seen it save hudreds of transmitions by the way i work for gm http://www.bgprod.com /

As a proofreader in the Tech. Pub. Department?;)
Dave