"Changing the distributor on my 1990 GMC V-8 Suburban..

..as we speak! Having fun but Im a bit stuck. When I first put the new distributor on and started the truck, It popped as it did before I changed it but not as often. I drove it around the corner and it
still popped. I took it off to start over and now I cant even get it to crank.
Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong? Thanx!! :?
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 counterclockwise?

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-quot-Changing-distributor-1990-GMC-Suburban-ftopict121901.html
It dont matter the firing order if he dont have the number 1 cylinder lined up with the rotor Re: "Changing the distributor on my 1990 GMC V-8 Suburban.. Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, May 27, 2005, 3:33pm From: shades_1970netinsnet (Shades) 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 counterclockwise?
--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's
request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's
request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
"motormomie" wrote: > ...as we speak! Having fun but I'm a bit stuck. When I first > put the new distributor on and started the truck, It popped > as it did before I changed it but not as often. I drove it > around the corner and it 'still' popped. I took it off to > start over and now I can't even get it to crank. > > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanx!! > :? > [color=blue:db1dac102d][/color:db1dac102d]
UPDATE: Its cranking and driving now, but it still backfires as I press harder on the gas pedal. Can anyone help eliminate this?
THANX!
Advance the timing.
"motormomie" wrote: > UPDATE: It's cranking and driving now, but it still backfires > as I press harder on the gas pedal. Can anyone help > eliminate this? > > THANX![color=violet:622e720f2e][/color:622e720f2e]
Have you checked and reset the timing as it must be checked in that model of truck.
"SnoMan" wrote: > Have you checked and reset the timing as it must be checked in > that model of truck.
no...not yet. Thanx for the warning though. It finally stopped backfiring! Once I changed the distributor, I tried everything but simply check the plugs! Once i changed them... it purred like a kitten!
So I guess my next move is the timing Sno-Man? That would be a drag right about now. Maybe it will last a while before needing it that bad. Can you or anyone advise preventive maintenance on my big hunk of truck? :lol:
Flush the trans and do a filter change. Add a can of 'SeaFoam TransTune'. Drain and refill the T-case. Drain and refill the pumpkins. Thoroughly clean the front wheel bearings, repack with HIGH quality grease and torque to EXACT by-the-book specs. Check the front axle u-joints and if needed, replace with greasable ones. Rear axle seals probably need replacing, might as well do and offset bearing installation that have the seal as part of them. Water pumps can come and go, if yours is questionable, you might as well install a double roller timing set when you do the water pump(offset front seal there too). Intake gaskets at the #7 intake port have a tendency to deteriorate, go top quality when replacing. EGR valves are a good thing to check and replace if needed...Pull yours and check for carbon plugged passages.
This might sound like allot, but its doubtful you will need it all. Check those things and do what's needed.

"Shades" wrote:

If tranny is working good, DO NOT MESS WITH ADDITIVES!!!. Just do a fluid and filter change, no need to flush unless oil is burn or in very bad shape. Good tip on front wheel bearing but you left out inner front axle shaft bearings inside spindle as I have seen them go bad while outer spindle bears for hub where fine. There is a seal in there too that can fail and never clean and repack front bearings without replacing wheel seal too. ON the rear axle seal I would not waste my time as I have seen them go 200K plus miles on semi floater like that. If they are not leaking, do not mess with them.
"motormomie" wrote: > no...not yet. Thanx for the warning though. It finally > stopped backfiring! Once I changed the distributor, I tried > everything but simply check the plugs! Once i changed them... > it purred like a kitten! > > So I guess my next move is the timing Sno-Man? That would be > a drag right about now. Maybe it will last a while before > needing it that bad. Can you or anyone advise preventive > maintenance on my big hunk of truck? :lol:
I have a 89 4x4 burb and I have had it since new and it has 172k on it now and still runs like new. If you pulled and replaced dist you need to beg borrow or steal a timing light and set timing. If you just got truck just go through and change all fluids for starters (tranny, axles, Tcase and engine) to get everything on a even keel.
ok sounds like your timing isnt set right .......Bring your #1 piston to tdc then move your distributor around until the rotor points directly to the #1 cylinder then advance as needed.....Did you even shoot your timing mark on the crank? If you cant even get it to crank try checking your battery for low voltage S Cook Re: &quot;Changing the distributor on my 1990 GMC V-8 Suburban.. Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, May 27, 2005, 5:35pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com (motormomie) "motormomie" wrote: ..as we speak! Having fun but I'm a bit stuck. When I first put the new distributor on and started the truck, It popped as it did before I changed it but not as often. I drove it around the corner and it 'still' popped. I took it off to start over and now I can't even get it to crank. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanx!! :? [color=blue:db1dac102d][/color:db1dac102d] UPDATE: It's cranking and driving now, but it still backfires as I press harder on the gas pedal. Can anyone help eliminate this? THANX!