Chevy Blazer Randomly Won't Start - Suggestions?

Here is my bizarre problem. (Let me apologize right now about not using the correct terminology. I am an application developer and I just now have had the time to begin learning about auto repair *grin*
A family member with much more experience has been helping me fix my truck.)
I have a 96 Chevy S-10 Blazer with ~130,000 miles on it. Randomly and without warning, the truck won't start; it won't even turn over (just a clicking sound). Last time it happened (4 months ago), we took the starter off, tested it and it was fine. Placed the started back in its place and the truck started.
This time removed the starter, tested it and placed it back but the truck would not start. So we cleaned the starter and put it back into its place; still wouldn't run. Removed the starter from its place again, set it up by the motor and the truck ran fine. Placed the starter back into its place and the truck wouldn't start. As long as the starter was not in its place the truck ran. After a couple times of moving the starter around we were able to get the truck started with the starter in place. The truck has started every time since then.
Checked the wiring, no breaks. Kind of out of ideas; any suggestions would be appreciated, Carla :)

Bad battery cable or bad key switch. Would suspect the cables first.
-
Either a bad solenoid or bad grounds, when no start get a test lite on the purple wire on the starter solenoid to confirm 12v, but get to the engine and battery grounds first.

-
Did u try replacing the alternator and or battery it may one or both of them ! Good luck.