Chevy Blazer Door Won't Open

Long story short: The driver's side door handle on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer was busted (wouldn't pull open the door). Ordered a replacement handle online. Removed door panel, removed old handle and removed the rod/arm from handle. Went to put in new handle and discovered they sent me the wrong part (it was too big and the bolt holes don't line up). After venting some frustration (hehe), screwed back in the broken handle without reconnect the rod (would have been a waste of time). The parts place is sending me a new handle....but in the meantime, the rod must have fallen inside the door because I cannot open the door using the inner door handle/release (it feels like its not pulling anything). How can I trigger the latch to release without using either the exterior (broken) or internal (disconnected) door handles? Is it still possible to remove the door panel without opening the door?

Thanks.

Reply to
Spiderman

Use other door!

Reply to
Scotty

I AM using the other door....however, I would like to replace the outer door handle when the correct replacement part arrives in a day or two. My problem is that I have no way of opening the driver side door with either the outside handle (currently broken) or the inside handle (rod not engaging the latch)....it's essentialy "stuck"!

Reply to
Spiderman

Sounds like your lacking slightly in the mechanical skills (No insult intended here) take it to the mechanics and pay to get it done right, then if it stuffs up again in a month you can take it back to them and they should do it for free under warrenty. Somtimes parting with cash is hard to do but I always run with;

"The longest way round is usually the shortest way out!"

A rule that I always live by and most often save a heap of time and agrovation.

Reply to
Scotty

The latch is pretty easy to work, the only problem is getting to it. If you look at some pictures of the lock about half way down the page here:

That will give you an idea what you need to press. If you see the green arrows pointing to "outer handle rod" that's what you'll need to hit. You'll need a wooden dowel or the like to get it in the window slot and then if you can probe around, you should be able to hit that rod and open the door.

If you can't do that, then you might drill off the old handle and try to stick the dowel in one of the mounting holes or the hole the actuating arm fits through to hit the same thing. You'll probably have more space to play with and get a better view of it from there.

That's the info I can get off the top of my head. Good luck.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

No not really. It's a super simple job....It only took me about 15 minutes to remove the panel and broken handle. The problem is they sent me the wrong part and I had nothing to connect the latch release rod to after removing it from the broken handle. All I need to do is get back in the door after I get the new handle and reconnect the rods. Why should I shell out cash for something I can do myself? I already received some useful responses...thanks for playing.

Reply to
Spiderman