Damn rear lights

'90 k1500. I'm wondering if it is a common occurence for the 'bulb boards' inside of the rear tail light housings to go bad.
Heres the problem: The bulbs light up with the headlights on, so I know
they are getting power. If go for a left turn, the left front light flashes rapidly, the rear does nothing. If I brake, the left rear does not brighten, however they stay lit the whole time. All this time the right side lights worked fine. I had switched the left and right hand side boards, and the problem followed to the right side.
A visit to a junkyard got me a used board, and its doing the exact same thing, I've interchanged light bulbs, tapped and shook, cursed, nothing changes. I'm figuring I have two faulty boards. Before I throw money at a new one, any other suggestions? The board looks non-serviceable and I couldn't think of any way to test its internals. Thanks for any info.

Yeah, they go bad due to the heat that the bulb generates. AZ sells 'em for about $25, I think, just ask for a 'connector plate' and if you're talking to anyone worth a shit, (s)he'll know exactly what you need.
Jeremy

Damn rear lights Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 3:49am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Tzihuac) '90 k1500. I'm wondering if it is a common occurence for the 'bulb boards' inside of the rear tail light housings to go bad. Heres the problem: The bulbs light up with the headlights on, so I know they are getting power. If go for a left turn, the left front light flashes rapidly, the rear does nothing. If I brake, the left rear does not brighten, however they stay lit the whole time. All this time the right side lights worked fine. I had switched the left and right hand side boards, and the problem followed to the right side. A visit to a junkyard got me a used board, and its doing the exact same thing, I've interchanged light bulbs, tapped and shook, cursed, nothing changes. I'm figuring I have two faulty boards. Before I throw money at a new one, any other suggestions? The board looks non-serviceable and I couldn't think of any way to test its internals. Thanks for any info.
--

you do have one side you know works right?...
Try switching them....If it works buy a new board...If it dont its in

Just had a similar problem with our Suburban. Turned out to be the trailer wiring. Try disconnecting it if you have wired trailer lights.
MWS

Yes it is the boards. if you look real close you'll notice the ground circuit is either couroaded or broken. best to just get a new one.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I ended up finding the bulb 'board' at Autozone, I had to convince the counter guy that they do actually carry them, he insisted they didn't because he'd never seen them before. Apparently he discovered it in their "Collision" stock area.. Anyways, for future/google reference here is what I purchased
Connector plate - Tail Lamp Pilot Collision part# 11-1914-20 $29.99
Replaced it and all works fine for now. This part # was for a left side plate.
jimauto wrote:

I find it helps to go to AutoZone.com, do my own search for the part number and then either call them or stop by with that in hand! Hard to refute what their system is finding..... I had the same experience when I asked them about the board. They swore it was a "stealer" part!