firewall

93 silverado stepside /w 5.7L
I must have spent the better part of an hour today looking for holes in the firewall so that I can run a couple of wires inside the cab but
I couldn't find anything either on the drivers side or the passenger side of the firewall.
Anyone got any ideas short of drilling a new hole? ----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
Go buy the groumet you are going to use so you know what size of hole to drill, then RTV the area when you are done.

Yep, get the groumet and drill a hole. Check, double-check, and then recheck before drilling the hole though. I have used brake and steering units as guides a number of times to measure off of to avoid putting holes in important things.
Big Chris
Rusted wrote:

figured that's what I'd end up doing to it.
she's damn tight on the engine compartment side of things tho.....yikes.
wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
There has to be wires already going in from somewhere it does not transmit everything by radio signal to the speedo and what not find where they go in and add a wire there, that worked for me when I put in the remote start in mine.

That is ok if you are just adding a small wire or two, but if you are adding 4 gauge from your battery to power your amp(s) then it's not an option. I've done quite a few audio installations (and my former roommate was a pro installer) and have come to understand the drill as my friend. Just check, double-check, and re-check before you drill.
Big Chris
Jeff wrote:

looked for that as well and it turns out it's 2 boards sandwiched together holding all the connections. There's no opening around it.
wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
take it to a Motorola 2-way shop and let them drill a hole or holes and install grommets
they will know where it's safe to drill and where it's not

This is a long shot, cuz i haven't looked at a Chevy, but on the dodges, if it's an auto.... there is a metal plate where the clutch pedal would be hung, with a big rubber plug in the center.. I ran all my CB/inverter/etc. wires through the center of the rubber plug... might be worth checking out how Chevy handles this, if your truck is an auto..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

that's why it's called a fire-WALL
try under the a/c evap.

Drilling a hole through there is no big deal as long as you make ABSOLUTELY sure you're not drilling into something important (like everyone's stated here). The biggest problem is finding the right drill that can manuever its way into place...at least that's my biggest problem. I have a 1/0 guage wire through my Maxima firewall that I drilled out. I will be putting a 4 guage through my S10's very soon.
Tony
--
2001 White S10 ZR2
Bone Stock

Not sure what size of hole you are needing but on my 96 Tahoe there was no way I was getting the wire for my amps through anything existing, so I had to drill a hole. After scouting around for a while, I found that several inches below the master cylinder is a very open spot (doesn't really appear so from the engine side) but I was able to even get a large corded 1/2" hammer drill with a giant 3/4" bit up under the dash to drill the hole. put in a 3/4" gasket from an autoparts store that was like $.75 for 4 and all is good. Even have alarm wires going through it as well.
Brandonb