Jimmy is no-start

Page 1 of 2
I bought a 1998 Jimmy from my company (has 180,000 mi). It was used in a very dusty/dirty environment. One night after turning it off, the guy tried to start it up again and would not start. He said there was dust
caked in the air filter and dust around the TB. Could this dust have been sucked up into the motor and FUBAR the motor? I know the fuel pump is new and powers up when you turn the key on. The engine cranks over and over but won't start. I really don't want to buy a new engine, but considering that I got bought the vehicle for next to nothing, I guess that figures. I welcome any advice.
Thanks
On 2 Oct 2006 08:36:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A engine need two thing to run, fuel and spark. If it is no starting one of them is not working. I would check for fire first and I would also scan vehical with a OBD2 scanner. I serious doubt that the engine needs replacing. Work the problem. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Steam engine? <rolls eyes>
The above technical flub was brought to you by:
Snojob
Say what you will about Snoman in alt.autos.dodge.trucks, but he seems to have good info here. As for his advise...yeah, spark or fuel (it's old school, but it still works). BTW, I didn't know any manufacturer since Stanley made steam powered motor vehicles.

Well, what they're still saying is; "where is the knock sensor on a Ram V-10?"

"Seems to." If one doesn't know how a GM truck throttle body injection system works, they probably wouldn't question his advise to measure fuel pressure "after the regulator before the injector." And if one didn't know better (or read their warranty manual) they'd go into a dealership demanding their 5/50 emissions warranty coverage on a MY 1996 or newer vehicle on his (erroneous) say so.

You don't think that compression is important?

Exactly.

I agree. I would like to know the answer to that question myself. (I think Snoman doesn't actually own a late model Dodge or have the technical manuals for such, hence, he relies on outdated information).

I must have missed that thread because it was over my head. OK, your 1 for 0 on alt.autos.dodge.trucks and 1 for 0 on alt.auto.4x4.chevy-trucks.

If fuel and spark are present, then yes. I'll give you 1.5 on alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks.
I started thinking about it (which is something a man shouldn't often do - ref.: the movie "12 O'Clock High") and remembered it started with Snoman's claim that 87 octane is not necessarily the best gasoline to use, especially during winter. Therefore, maybe there is another answer of when and why to use higher octane gasoline than the question of "where is the knock sensor?"

Why indeed. Snojob -claims- that 89 or higher octane works best for him. Understandable since he's previously admitted to advancing his ignition timing 8* above stock. This is known in the industry as a "hack" i.e., can't get the engine running correctly by proper methods, so kick the timing up. The pattern extends to his AC system, can't get cold air using the correct refrigerant so he fills the thing with propane/butane.
Bubba fixes.
I've learned to dismiss him in the Dodge group. Maybe I just haven't been around this one long enough to see the same type of bad information here (been trolling for a while as I'm thinking of buying a Chevy this time - still haven't decided). I retract my previous statement.

The V-10 was just one instance of bs info. Of greater concern was the post in which he passed on tourqueIt is a pattern of wrong info that I see still continues over here.

Sorry dropped a apple on the keyboard and everything went to hell.
The point I was trying to make was that there is a pattern of wrong info that spews from this fool. The V10 was no big deal, just wrong.What should be of greater concern is that some of his wrong info can be dangerous or costly. He has posted wrong torque values by about 50 foot pounds. In some cases this can result in injury or broken parts. The stories are endless You might want to spend some time and google this clown.
Roy
I've learned to dismiss him in the Dodge group. Maybe I just haven't been around this one long enough to see the same type of bad information here (been trolling for a while as I'm thinking of buying a Chevy this time - still haven't decided). I retract my previous statement.

How can what never was be out dated?

Two different threads. Wrong both times, 2 for 0

You don't need spark (i.e., diesel), you do need fuel and compression. Since the mistake was made by a person who claims to be the inventor of the GPS system, double points. 4 for 0 ;-)
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Your WRONG on the STEAM ENGINE...
First it needs a Fuel source, Usually WOOD.
Then it NEED a SPARK to ignite the WOOD or Fuel, which May Be a MATCH or Cigarette Lighter !
Then it NEEDS water
The Two combinations HEAT the WATER to Create POWER
--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!

I have always admired some of those old steam giants. I have seen a few of them on display in my travels out west. To this day the most powerfull loco's ever built where steam powered but maintance costs forced them out in 50's. They have a working Challenger that runs between Denver and Cheyenne in summer on excursion rides. It was one of the most powerfull ones ever built and the "engine" alone weighs around 500 tons and with a coal and water tender attached that weighed a few 100 tons more it could still easily develope well over 7000 drawbar HP AFTER losses from moving its own 700 ton combo first and it was tractiion limited on startup power too. Now that was power! ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

"Run" and power are not the same thing.
facetious \fuh-SEE-shuhs\, adjective: 1. Given to jesting; playfully jocular. 2. Amusing; intended to be humorous; not serious.
aarcuda69062 wrote:

RUN means to WALK BRISKLY ... I have NEVER seen an Engine RUN Down the Sidewalk or Down the ROAD !

Then I will make it SO the layman will understand..
The Two combinations plus WATER . Makes the Engine so it HAS POWER !
--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!

Where did Snoball state; an engine needs two things to 'have power?'
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:53:28 GMT, aarcuda69062

I wonder if you will ever grow up? We can only hope. You must be one very insecure person! ----------------- TheSnoMan.com