1998 Jimmy Starter

I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy when I put to key to start all I get is a click. I tried to jump start it but same thing. I am thinking its the starter. What do you with more wisdom think?

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim or Linda

Check all the battery connections as well as grounds first. Then run 12 volts from a battery cable straight from the battery to see if the starter spins. Could be cables that are corroded under the insulation.

Brian

"Tim or Linda snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net" I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy when I put to key to start all I get is a click. I

Reply to
el Diablo

I went to autozone.com how to repair section and it says for a 4WD non utility I need to: Unbolt the engine mounts, then raise and support the engine using a suitable lifting device. Unbolt the transmission mount and support the transmission assembly. Remove the starter-to-engine bolts and support the starter. Rotate the starter as necessary for access, then tag and disconnect the solenoid wiring. Carefully lower the starter and shims (if equipped) from the vehicle. Note the location of any shims for installation purposes. If necessary, remove the shield from the starter assembly.

It continues for a utility model I need to: If equipped, remove the brush end mounting bracket. If equipped, remove the transfer case shield. Unfasten the bolts that attach the brake pipe-to-transmission bracket to the transmission crossmember and remove the brackets. Unfasten the transmission crossmember bolts, (usually three on each side). Unfasten the transmission mount bolts, support the transmission assembly with a transmission jack and slide the transmission crossmember out of the way. Remove the bracket that attaches the transmission cooler lines to the flywheel housing, brace rod to the flywheel housing, and/or the lower flywheel housing as necessary. If equipped, note the location of the shims. This will help during reassembly. Unfasten the starter motor mounting bolts. Remove the starter and if equipped, the starter shims.

I guess I dont know what a utility model is I thought a Jimmy is a SUV. Looking at it I think I can just unbolt it and slide it out toward the rear. Problem is its in a parking lot where my daughter works. I dont think its a major job like they say on the web site my thinking a couple hours tops.

Reply to
Tim or Linda
***Remember to disconnect the battery so you don't get any big ZAPS aka arc welding. If you can pull out the starter simply, do that. If the starter bolts also bolt through an engine/tranny mount, you should support the engine/tranny from under (a jack with board will do) so you can actually remove the bolts (and reinstall them) and your engine won't drop a couple inches. Although, you may have to lower the engine slightly to wiggle your starter out depending on what is in the way. Sorry, don't know the details about fixing your model.

"Tim or Linda snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net" I went to autozone.com how to repair section and it says for a 4WD non

Reply to
Rick De Visser

Thanks every bit of advice is appreciated.

transmission

transmission

Reply to
Tim or Linda

I got the starter out. What I did have to do was take the wheel well out in order to get to the terminals. They looked clean so I took the starter in for testing. Good news was starter is OK just cleaned up the connections and its working so far.

transmission

transmission

Reply to
Tim or Linda

Improving grounds is always wize. GM cars have skimpy grounds. Start by running a heavy cable, I like Ford starter cables, from the engine block to frame rail. Follow ground from battery to where cable fastens. Many GM's ground to a bracket [ heavily painted] and simply moving ground to engine block will help.

Reply to
451 CTDS