Mission critical error

Bought the S-10 used (120K) nearly 3 years ago and, although I replaced all the front end parts, never touched the steering box. Had the front end aligned recently, The next day, after turning the engine off, I went
to turn the tires slightly, and SURPRISE, the steering wheel turned with a clicking noise but the tires didn't move a bit
I think, "Wtf is going on?"......to make this a quick story, some TOTAL BOZO years ago had removed the coupling bolt between the steering box and steering column and replaced it backwards. There was nothing holding these two very important components together, except friction Would not like to think what could have happened if the PS pump or belt ever failed while driving....