40 years ago today

On June 8, 1967 the lightly armed USS Liberty, flying a large Stars & Stripes flag, sailing in international waters in the Eastern Mediterranean , was brutally attacked without any warning by Israeli warplanes & torpedo boats, resulting in the deaths of 34 sailors & injuring 178. Blacked out in the US media and dismissed as a "mistake" by US & Israeli officials, attempts to throw the event & the memory of the dead & injured down the memory hole have failed and it is now known that the attack was planned by the Israelis with the knowledge of the Johnson administration. Remember the Liberty!

The evidence was clear. Both Admiral Kidd and I believed with certainty that this attack...was a deliberate effort to sink an American ship and murder its entire crew.... It was our shared belief. . .that the attack. . .could not possibly have been an accident.... I am certain that the Israeli pilots [and] their superiors. . .were well aware that the ship was American." -- Captain Ward Boston, JAGC, US Navy (retired), senior legal counsel to the US Navy Court of Inquiry

Barry

I know a former crew member of that vessel. (I don't believe was aboard at the time of the attack). He crashed a motorcycle and got a steel plate put in his head. Now Jack is "Crazy Jack"!

Reply to
Dwain G.

Kind of makes one wonder what is real and what is perceived as real, as they want us to believe. How many other things have been covered up, or mislead us to believe something that wasn't there. Recent history echo's the past. How many of us were sold on the idea that it was iraq's doing that did in the trade towers and let's not forget the weapons of mass destruction. Another example of two side shows to distract us from the real truth. Dog and pony show politics.

Reply to
Pckstude

"But who's to believe which is right and which is an illusion?" (author forgotton, but give me a deep inhalation or two and I might recall.) Karl

Reply to
midlant

And we decide which is right And which is an illusion

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Full Text below:

Breathe deep in the gathering gloom Watch lights fade from every room Bedsitter people look back and lament Another day's useless energy's spent Impassioned lovers wrestle as one Lonely man cries for love and has none New mother picks up and suckles her son Senior citizens wish they were young Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray and yellow white And we decide which is right And which is an illusion?

Reply to
jford

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

I think that it was Graham who wrote that part. I was 90% sure on the title of the song, but after so many years...

Oh, speaking of the British Invason, is anyone interested in a "White Cover" album? I think that my late wife brought it over from England with her, but all the MB ones we bought in the States.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Yes, the Moody Blues have been one of my favorites since I was in hi school in early 70's, and I still enjoy listening to them. The illusions can be found in the mainstream media every day. Reality is often more difficult to find.

"In an age of universal deception, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

Reply to
Barry

Did you get that from something written or from what you heard on the record? I wondered about the question mark instead of a full stop.

Reply to
midlant

Could be a full stop, here the lyrics I found:

Breathe deep the gathering gloom Watch lights fade from every room Bedsetter people look back and lament Another day's useless energy's spent Impassioned lovers wrestle as one Lonely man cries for love and has none New mother picks up and suckles her son Senior citizens wish they were young Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is an illusion

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>> And we decide which is right

Reply to
John Poulos

Good Grief!

That means you're about 20 years younger than I am...but don't look it.)

(or maybe you got held back a lot!)

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Just for info sake, a "bedsitter" would be call a "Studio Apartment" in the US. Karl

Reply to
midlant

Reply to
Barry