need help with 98 Chevy pickup brake switch

I have a 98 Chev extended cab pickup with an automatic transmission, this weekend it wouldn't shift from park. I disconnected what I think is the linkage that connects to the switch that keep one from shifting from park
without the brake engaged and it shifts from park fine. Can anyone tell me if this is the only part I need to replace or if there is another switch somewhere that may be the culprit? Any help would be appreciated, I went to the local dealer (one of them anyway) and they basically told me that I needed to have a professional mechanic look at it.
TIA, Russ.

The haynes manual does mention a special tool to align it.