Isuzu 2.3L Pickup Help!

Someone has given me a 1991 Isuzu pickup with the 2.3L 4 cyl. engine. The engine runs (barely), but is not firing on cylinders 1 and 2. I can crank it, and pull both plug wires on 1 and 2 with no difference in it's running.

Compression tests show 150 on cyl 4, 120 on cyl 3, between 90 and 120 on cyl 2, and between 90 and 120 on cyl 1.

All plugs (new) are getting fire, but when I pull plug 1 or 2, there is gas on the plugs, so it is not burning. Engine is white smoking really bad.

I cannot see water in the oil. Does this sound like a head gasket? From reading the newsgroups on this engine, it is known for blown head gaskets and cracked heads.

I plan to pull the head soon, but wanted to see if anyone knew of anything else I could check before I do it.

Thanks! Jay

Reply to
JMH

dance on down to your local napa auto parts and purchase a block testing kit..inexpensive, easy to use, quick. can tell you if you have head damage.i'm wondering if you have pulled valve cover and taken a look at the rocker arms? bent or stuck valves could possibly cause this problem. since i've only worked on a couple isuzus that i can remember,it may be possible that if it has a distributor, the pick up coil can cause this condition. hope this helps

Reply to
plainoldmechanic