help with replacing ignition switch '95 subaru legacy

The ignition switch on my 1995 Subaru Legacy looks like it is (finally) failing, after 180,000 miles on the vehicle. The lock sticks and it takes quite a bit of working the key around to finally get it to turn to start the car.

The car just got back from the shop (air conditioning fix) so I don't want to bring it back in again so soon--if possible, I'd like to replace this myself. I found a replacement part on Ebay (http:// tinyurl.com/3aqu32) and I'm wondering

(1) if I need to buy the whole assembly as shown in the Ebay photo or do I just need a ignition switch barrel of some sort. I'm guessing I just need the barrel, but is this part on Ebay cheap compared to buying a new barrel/key mechanism?

(2) how difficult it would be for me to do this myself. I'm handy with tools. But do I need to go through the airbag? If so, sounds like it might potentially be dangerous.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
reeeeeeeeflex