poor gas mileage

Page 1 of 2
I have a 2005 gmc crew cab z71. I have a 26 gallon tank and I am only getting 290 miles off of a tank of gas is this right? I know other guys who are getting 350 to 400 miles off of their tanks. I checked
air filter and most common things. I have 60k miles on the truck and I drive with a light foot. Thanks
It makes a Difference of WHERE u Buy your Gas..
if I buy Gas from Shell I get 21 mpg with my old 1989 S 10 .( around 200,000 miles on it) http://www.freewebs.com/kotarski/plow.htm . Believe it or Not But if I buy Gas from 7/11 and it is CITGO Brand , I get 24 Mpg..
Same thing is true with My Daughters 2005 Jeep. 3 mpg Average difference .
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What the terminals do when a tanker fills up:
They turn a key, and they get the additive, for their specific brand.
So CITGO, even though I hate Hugo Chavez, they have a better additive package then Shell does.
BP, Mobil and Exxon are good gasolines.
RK

Refinish King wrote:

Corn? :-)

I concur. I can NOT get any mileage out of Shell gasoline. Even when I had my Jaguar that required premium, I avoided "V-Power" like the plague!
Mark '01 Blazer LT

You don't say what your actual MPG is, nor what engine you have, but assuming you run to a near empty tank, you're getting around 11 MPG, which does sound low (heck even my Dodge gets better than that, but not by much). What are your actual MPG numbers, and how heavy is your left foot?

Er, that's "how heavy is your right foot?" I'm a little dyslexic.

I have the 5.3 v8 and I am not much on driving fast. I drive pretty normal. Also at 70 mph I am turning 2200 rpms, Is this right?
I'd bet the 4wd gears are what is hurting you. I had a 5.3l with 3.43 gears, and 70mph was 1750 to 1800 rpm. 2000 rpm was closer to 80. I was getting closer to 20 to 21 mpg.

Bill wrote:

On Dec 12, 8:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have a 99 Silvy 4wd with the 5.3l and I get better milage then that, around 15 in town, BUT you have a crew cab and it wieghts more then the ext cab, plus I don't think the 05 is areodynamic. Isn't this the timeframe when they started changing the body style to the squared off front end again? When is the last time you had a service performed? That is going to hurt you some, dirty filter, etc..

what hte heck do you mean "Service".... You can service whatever you want and not gain 10mpg

Whatever, thanks for your input.

No shit?? Maybe by service he meant a set of plugs/ wires or perhaps he has leaves in his air cleaner housing. Maybe he has real aggresive tires on it. Who knows? The op doesn't give any info.
have you calculated your actual MPG, of do you just fill up when the gas gauge indicates you are low and compare how far you have driven since the last fill up? It may be something as simple as the gauge indicates low when you have several gallons left. From your post of MPH vs. RPM it sounds like your OD may not be engaging, which I don't think would account for the kind of MPG loss you claim, but real world MPG numbers may tell a different story.

Ok, I have stock tires on the truck and I only know that when I fill up the truck, it will take 23 to 24 gallons and I am getting around 290 miles from it. It may be normal. I was just asking if it is. I am certain that I should be turning less rpm's then 2200 at 70 mph. The truck is all stock. I just bought the truck (used) with 60k miles. Gm said they did a complete "sevice / checkup" before the truck hit the used lot. So I am assuming that they checked the filters, oil , etc .

Also, when I press the overdrive button, the enginge does not increase in rpms like my old ford. A Gm mechanic said that is perfectly normal for it to not increase rpms. But I don't know.How many gears should I go through before i hit overdrive?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

always Remember, Some people Will Tell u anything, Especially what Gas milage they are Getting.. They may be getting less than what you are , but Donnot want to admit it and Then they Tell u they Get better MPG than you do.

First off, This is a Chevy and not a Ford so you're not hitting an "overdrive" button on the end of the shifter - it's the "tow/haul mode" button if just clicked once quickly. And No, it won't change your RPM's because all it does is change the shift points between gears as you accelerate and run up through them to finally arrive at overdrive.
If you really want to disable your overdrive, press and HOLD the tow/haul button - but be prepared to see a sharp rise in RPM's when you do (I don't suggest doing at highway speeds). At that point you should also see a light on your dash with OD and a line through it indicating that the overdrive is disabled.
I can't say if 2200 rpm is too high or just right - my Silverado is a 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison so what I get won't be comparable to what you should get. However, I get 500 miles on a complete 26 gallon tank of diesel - or I did before I went to larger tires. I have a speedo error now and haven't remeasured it. There are three things to check when you see mileage like yours: 1) a basic tune up with plugs, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, etc. 2) make sure your torque converter is locking up at highway speeds; and 3) check your rear axle ratio. If you have a 4.10:1 rear axle for towing then you are getting the mileage I would expect to see. But if you have a 3.73 or lower ratio then you've got an issue here.
To check if you torque converter is locking up properly, you can drive along at a steady 50mph on flat terrain (the converter should be locked up at this point). With your right foot still on the gas, use your left foot and lightly press your brake pedal - not firm enough to slow you down but just enough to activate the brake lights. You should see a 200-300 jump in RPM indicating that the converter is unlocking. If you don't see the jump then it may not be locked up to begin with.
Cheers - Jonathan
On Dec 13, 10:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Your fuel tank is a 26 gallon tank, you have a 5.3l 1500 crew cab, 4 wheel drive. The 2008 version is EPA rated at 14 city, 19 highway.
You have not told us what rear gear you have, you have not told us your driving habits (all city, all highway, mix), you do say you have a light foot. You have not told us at what point you fill up, completely empty, 1/4 tank etc. So this is the best you are going to get for an answer.
A 26 gallon tank at 290 miles is approximately 11.5 MPG, so yes, you seem to be a little off from what it should be.
As a comparision, with mine, with the only differences being year and that I have the extended cab, I am getting around 350 in the city, which puts me closer to the EPA rating.