Rust problem

My father has a 1994 z71 with about 70k on it. It seems to have a serious rust problem. So far the bumper has rusted through, brake lines have rusted through, fuel lines leaked due to rust, the
differential cover became so thin with rust, the fluid started to seep through it, and the tailgate hinges dont look so good either.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem with this truck? Or is this abnormal. Any info would be apreciated.
Brian
I can only ask if it's lived in a harsh winter climate it's whole life, where they still use LOTS of salt. I'm pretty certain out on the East coast of Canada a vehicle's lifespan is only about 10 years. Then frame and body are junk.

In new england it's about 14 years before you need to replace parts IF you take care of it... haven't seen any nasty frames though. My 1990 jimmy is about the worse i've seen and it's fine, and my 1985's frame is pretty nice but the sheet metal is like swiss cheeze...
GMC Gremlin

. . ============== Rust problem Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Aug 3, 2004, 7:36pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brian)
My father has a 1994 z71 with about 70k on it. It seems to have a serious rust problem. So far the bumper has rusted through, brake lines have rusted through, fuel lines leaked due to rust, the differential cover became so thin with rust, the fluid started to seep through it, and the tailgate hinges dont look so good either.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem with this truck? Or is this abnormal. Any info would be apreciated.
Brian ====================== The condition is specific to your truck.
NOT a normal condition for a maintained vehical.
Been hauling any fertiizer?? Road Salt?
MarshMonster ~:~ ==========
What area of the country and where is it parked when not being used? Those two items make a BIG difference. For instance a vehicle in central Texas that is washed every month or so and stored in a garage will last a LOT longer than one used in the Northeast and kept in a gravel floored shed. Damn salt eats them alive and if the salt is kept damp by the moisture coming out of the ground through the gravel you can have rust through in less than 5 years.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY